[Coco] hardware question - coco3 RAM subsystem

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Mar 26 23:13:44 EDT 2009

On 26 Mar 2009 at 19:22, Stephen Adolph wrote:

> As I stare at the schematic the functionality is becoming more clear.
>
> One question-
> The CPU cannot complete it's read in a single pulse of the E clock -
> so that data has to be available on the correct edge in the next phase
> (from the 6809 data sheet).

Yes it does. The ram is accessed at twice the fastest speed of the CPU. At
fast speed the CPU machine cycle is 579nS. The ram read cycle is 260nS.

> Does the GIME store the data for the CPU, obtained in the SAME E CLOCK
> pulse as the CPU request, and forward it to the CPU during the next
> phase?  ( I suspect the answer is yes..)

Nope. It is passed through a multiplexor out the CPU databuss. The read
data is clocked inon the falling edge of tehE-Clock on a read cycle. The
GIME need only hold the data on the buss for 20nS after the fall of the e-
Clock.

> So, from the RAM's perspective, each read/write, regardless of source,
> completes within a single pulse of either E or Q?

The GIME reads the ram twice as fast as the CPU. It will do two reads for
every machine cycle at fast speed. The GIME is designed to work with
150nS access DRAM. That speed DRAM has a read/write cycle time of
260nS.

james