[Coco] DW3 descriptor info question

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Thu Mar 26 19:50:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was wondering about  the device descriptor for the /x# devices under
Nitros9.

I am thinking that the only time the device information is used, as
reguards to the geometry is when the disk is formatted. And I do know
that backup wants the two disks to be the same before it will work. And
as to imbedded scsi drives, it is ignored all together except to
calculate the total number of sectors, and cluster size, as the numbers
are not the actual geometry of the disk any way, and the disk formats
itself.

Sample:

        dmode /h0

         nam=h0 mgr=RBF ddr=SCSISYS
         hpn=07 hpa=FF5B drv=00 stp=00 typ=80 dns=90 cyl=040C sid=0C
         vfy=01 sct=0021 t0s=0021 ilv=01 sas=10 wpc= ofs= rwc=

When using os9.exe from the toolshed, only the total number of sectors
is provided, so geometry is not used there.

Now to the question!  When using format with the /X# disks, just which
values does it look at?
I would think only cyl, sid, sct, and t0s, in order to calculate the
number of sectors.

Any questions, or input is welcome.

Tim

P.S. How long must a person be on the list before they are not
considered fly-by-night, and are eligible to answer posts in an attempt
to help otheres?  ;-)