[Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Fri Mar 20 22:58:03 EDT 2009

Andrew wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:11:38 -0400
>> From: "RJLCyberPunk" <cyberpunk at prtc.net>
>> Subject: [Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?
>> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>>
>> OK now that they have a wireless blue tooh "RS232" pak for the CoCo that
>> would and should allow it to use the PC it links too as a server to connect
>> to the internet wouldn't the next logical step be to develop a CoCo web
>> browser?
>>
>> One that is at least text based with limited graphics capability like this
>> one developed for the Apple II here:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzgp7xTp1k&fmt=18
>
> I think a minimal graphical web browser (ala WAP) is possible, maybe
> written in C under OS-9 (or pure assembler, or maybe a mix of assembler
> and CBASIC-3), provided that a major part of the system is a "host
> server" program that translates the WAP-like requests into standard
> browser requests, translating the returned data into "WAP" format (or
> downloading the "WAP" format directly if the page is referenced as such)
> and delivering it back to the custom browser running on the CoCo.

Something you may or may not be aware of: OS-9 Pascal P-code programs are not
limited in their accessible memory space, possibly due to the interpreter's
use of overlays. Note, this only applies to P-code programs; once compiled to
native code they're just as limited as everything else that doesn't use custom
"virtual memory" schemes.

[snip]