[Coco] Rainbow archives in DjVu

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Mar 17 12:10:02 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:46:44AM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
> Tim Fadden wrote:
>> This format has been around at least 7 or 8 years probably longer.   I
>> only ran into it in one place that I wanted files to view. Why not
>> stick to the standard?
>
> Is PDF a standard?  Or is it just a commonly used file format?  Those
> are two entirely distinct concepts.

ISO 32000-1:2008

> I'm accustomed to PDF, but if DjVu readers are available under the GPL,
> have been ported to most popular operating systems, and if the DjVu
> format is being used by Google and Archive.org, why shouldn't we make
> use of it?
>
> That's my perspective on it.

I'm sure DjVu is a wonderful format.  However, given the fact that
I've only ever seen it discussed or used in this mailing list I think
claims of it's immense popularity are suspect.  YMMV...

OTOH, if someone wants to archive as DjVu instead of PDF for their own
reasons then I'm sure there is a market here to consume the material.
The availability of an open source DjVU viewer makes it far more
palatable now than before.

John