[Coco] A network challenge.

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Mar 15 09:40:19 EDT 2009

Aaron Banerjee wrote:
> Sorry for the off-topic post, but at least it's old computers....
>
> I have a laptop that does not have wireless capability (and can't).

You say it can't have wireless, and does not.  What does it have?  Why
can't it have wireless?  I found 802.11b cards for PCMCIA (real 16-bit
PCMCIA, not Cardbus...) slots.  They were hard to find, but they did
exist.  I got them working in Windows 98, but never did under Linux.
Does the computer have USB?  I do have some really archaic laptops that
have neither PCMCIA nor USB, and those really can't have wireless.  Of
course they can't have Ethernet either, except with a parallel port
NIC.  What other ports and interfaces does it have?
> I've got another one that has both a network port and wireless.  What
> I'd like to be able to do is to use perhaps a crossover cable to use
> my wireless laptop as a router whereby it could assign an IP address
> to the non-wireless one and allow all that wonderful stuff like VPN,
> etc whilst, and at the same time performing as if that hotel had wired
> internet.
Serial crossover or Ethernet?  Either way it should work, once you have
made or bought the cable and set up the interfaces properly in the
respective operating systems.  You'll need to set up Internet Connection
Sharing on the Windoze machine.  It's pretty finicky, but I did get it
to work once when I had to share a wireless Internet connection where
the WiFi card had no Linux support.
> Any suggestions as to the best way to do this?  Currently, my wireless
> laptop is my only windoze machine.
What version of Windows, and what OS do you have on the other machine?

JCE