[Coco] Coco to parallel printer

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 17:23:14 EDT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009, Sean wrote:
>I have one available I would be willing to part with.  And it's CoCo
> specific.
>
>http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/thOZYPoFkZnIf2EYFqgWyA?authkey=Gv1sRgCI
>KYvLL49PucmQE&feat=directlink
>
>Make an offer that's reasonable enough to get off the couch, dig
>through some boxes, and go mail it.  I think I may have the
>instructions somewhere too.
>
>But I think the other issue is finding a printer it would work with.
>Don't most printers rely on the PC and drivers to do most of the work
>now?

Yes, there hasn't been a smart printer made in a decade plus now, and what we
do have are all equipt with usb interfaces.

I have a kluge rigged up that did work for a while, and then the printer
driver didn't work anymore.  I was feeding the bitbanger, as /p, to an FDTI
serial to usb adapter, and then capturing whatever came up the pipe to a file,
and when there was no more new data for several seconds, printing it using the
normal facilities of this linux box, sending it back over the same cable to a
$120 Brother laser printer plugged into another port on the hub so the printer
was actually on the coco's desk.  That, when it worked, worked very well
indeed as the laser is the fastest printer here by about 2 magnitudes.  The
color ink squirters are many times slower.

It's all in a couple of bash scripts.  Ugly, worked a treat.  Anybody wants
them, yell.