[Coco] Coco to parallel printer

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Fri Mar 13 11:52:26 EDT 2009

Bill,

To connect a Coco to a printer with a 36-pin Centronics Parallel
connector (which is what I assume you meant by a "regular" printer)
you need a serial to parallel printer adapter.  These used to be
common but are a lot harder to find now that everything uses USB.
Pretty much any will do as long as it supports 600 or 1200 baud and
hardware (DTR) flow control.  Here is an example, you should be able
to find something cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.pccables.com/30200.htm

This one supports 1200 baud which will work:

http://www.provantage.com/aten-sxp320a~7ATEN02J.htm

Refer to pages 38 and 39 of the Coco1 Technical Reference  Manual for
the printer settings and connection information (this is more complete
than the Coco3 manual pp 313-314)
ftp://ftp.maltedmedia.com/coco/MANUALS1/TANDY_HW/COCO/COCO1/CoCo1TM.pdf