[Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:57:39 EDT 2009

 Could a Coco do what a cell phone browser does?

 Cell phones have limited graphics and the bandwidth isn't that good, I
expect. I don't know about this.
.It would seem that if it can be done on a 1.5 inch screen, perhaps the PC
interface can make it happen, simplify things for the coco and then it may
work.
 But I wonder... Why bother?
 I think it would be cool to make a system for retro computers to simulate a
dial up connection. Build a network just for this application and not even
try to "Browse The Net". The PC can take care of interfacing to the "NET"
and  direct the data from our retro computers to other retro computers and
we will be right where it all started many years ago. Apples can talk to
Amigas, Cocos can talk to Commodors... etc.
 This way, all the OTHER retro computer users could join in on the fun. We
could get out our old BBS software and begin to do what we were doing many
years ago on our old dialup modems, only faster.
 Us old farts could have fun emulating the FidoNet and the like. Text
graphics and all that.

 I could put my OS9 L2 BBS back into operation! That would be fun! .
 This system would be emulated on a PC, whether it be Winderz, Linux, or OSx
Apple.  No special software for the old computers would be required, I
expect.
 The PC software would have to emulate a modem. I would think the Hayes
system is in order.
 I would not have a clue how this would be done, expecially with a BBS
system that can handle multiple modems, unless it uses multiple RS232 ports
to the PC. Otherwise, the Retro computer would have to be modified.

 I have no interest in "Browsing The Net" on a Coco. Sorry. However, it
would be a novelty to play with for a couple of hours and then I would just

 If one were to make software on a PC to enable this, then we could begin
contacting the other retro computer users and let them know about this.
 I betcha there would be some interest!

  This might be a dumb idea, but after a few brewskies, it sounds good right
now!

George