[Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Mar 12 22:56:55 EDT 2009

On 11 Mar 2009 at 17:52, Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 04:30 PM 3/11/2009, you wrote:
> > > John
> >
> >Yes that would work if you don't mind 56K dial up speeds.
>
> Correction in order.  With today's "56K dialup" connections, you
> almost always only get 26.4k.
>
> The 6551 has a 115200 bps mode.   The CoCo tells the PC to fetch a web
> page, and the speed of the PC's internet connection is the speed used.
>  The data appears to the CoCo on one of the remote virtual disks where
> it can be read any way you like @ 115200 bps.  Even considering
> overhead, it's extremely faster than a dial-up experience.
>
> --
> Roger Taylor

 I used to average about 31K with 56K dial up. On good days I saw about
36K. So what that 115K is about three to four times faster.

Then again it may very well be a first if one is enfactuated with doing web
browsing on an 8 bit machine. Even with some of the pictures the browser
mentioned was doing text only and not rendering any graphics. There is
where speed increase beyond 115K will be benificial.

My personal opinion with networking with a Coco is best left to telnet, FTP,
NNTP and SNTP. HTTP is doable but not time wise economical.

james