[Coco] How about a CoCo Web Browser?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Mar 12 23:07:34 EDT 2009

On 11 Mar 2009 at 21:25, Diego Barizo wrote:

> Besides web access, another good reason to have a browser like program
> for the CoCo, is to be able to open HTML files, which are the real
> Portable Document File, - not that other format :-) That was the idea
> behind my attempt to create what is an HTML renderer, not a web
> browser. To allow me to create a formatted text file in the PC, and
> open it in the CoCo keeping most of the formatting.
>
> Diego

Fifteen years ago when the HTML was still in its adolescent years yes. Now
that HTML has matured into XML there is no way that a stock Coco3 could
have the graphics power to do all that XML or even HTML can do. Heck not
even the two popular browsers on PCs today support all the features of
HTML or even XML.

You would have to redign the 6309 processor to run on 45 nM silicon to just
think of getting enough computing power. A separate graphics processor
with accelleration.

Yes you could do a small subset of the HTML language on a Coco3.  But it
may very well be highly limited to make surfing the net not a pretty sight.

just my opinion

james