[Coco] FD-502

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 12 22:19:45 EDT 2009

Bill wrote:
> They fail with a known good controller. I have another controller, and the
> one works well with it, but the other two drives fail.

What is the failure mode? Can they read disks from another drive? Can
they format disks? Does the drive spin and if so is the strobe speed
correct? Does the head move along the rails? Check for fuses.

There are several failure modes that can be fixed by cleaning,
lubrication, adjusting drive speed, and adjusting the track0 stop. Other
failure modes would need a scope and special calibration disk to repair.