[Coco] FD-50X Drive manuals

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Mar 8 00:36:32 EST 2009

Bill, hope you said some extra prayers, I think your CoCo collection is
possessed!

A couple of things to note:

1- you can't exclude a problem with the CoCo itself at this point
2- The old full height TP drive is probably a lost cause due its many
mechanical and analog adjustments. I wouldn't bother with it just yet
3- The FD502 service manual is useless without a ton of specialized
equipment.
4- The stepper motors are bi-phase, so when you say you hear 18 clicks
you may be hearing 35 tracks, but only every alternate step is audible.
5- The round FD502 cables are subject to failure. I've seen a couple of
broken ones so far. The flat ribbon cable may be bad also, but I doubt
all 3 cables are bad in exactly the same way.
6- bad media? Are you formatting HD floppies? Does the problem persist
on different media?

I would open the covers up on the 502's and watch the show. Most
importantly if the head restores itself to track 0 once the format
process is completed.

The format process is pretty much blind. As long as the controller is
seeing index pulses from the drive there's really nothing I can think of
that would cause it to bomb out in the middle of the process (other than
loss of index pulses)