[Coco] 16550 wasRe: RS232 paks

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 5 10:04:37 EST 2009

Roger,

A few quick points for the ones that are growing tired of this thread,
as am I.

  1. Lets agree to disagree.
  2. We have different requirements for our designs.

Worn-out thread followers might want to exit at this point, maybe not
though??

You specifically asked me for some test cases. I gave them to you. You
ignored all of my questions, instead answering them with questions and
skirting the issues of the 6551. In the future, please do not ask me a
question that you don't want to hear the answers to.

You post messages to the list commenting on every step of your design,
announcing your progress, and openly soliciting questions and
comments; consequently, I and others respond. In my industry, this is
called "peer review."

Yet there is a pattern to your responses that suggest to me that you
don't work in this industry.  If the critique isn't complimentary or
your ego isn't being stroked, you either avoid answering the question
or you get defensive.

In these same posts, you attempt to mask the true inner workings of
your products with terms like "magic" and other hyperbole.  Marketers
hype; engineers demystify things.

What you are doing is nothing new, no squinting required. I know how
you are making the device go 115.2k; I also know how you are getting
your device to work in your app and avoiding the 6551 errata. I also
know that there is NitrOS-9 support for your device.  There is nothing
new here. Your pak, outside of your app, will work as good or as
poorly as any other RS-232 pak which is deemed by what you are doing.
You are not smarter than the chip manufactures, trust me when I say
this. You really think that they want to place a statement like that
in their data sheets? Discounting the CTS/RTS problem and blaming it
on a specific modem may seem plausible to non-techies, but is
ridiculous to technical people.

There is a difference between innovation and integration.  Your
bluetooth pak is an example of the later.  I realize that you have
time and money invested in to your product and you are avoiding the
questions that you directly asked me to save some face on it. We
clearly have different views on our requirements and quality of our
products, and that is ok.  But every time you try to blow smoke, I
will be there to clear the air.

As to your comments of, I believe it was, '90% of programmers don't
know what they are doing' or something close to that, is something
that many here may take offense to. Are you the 10% that are "in the
know?"  You are talking to a smart group of people here on this list;
9 out of 10 don't know what they are doing? If I made a statement like
that at work I would not be allowed to work on projects, be labeled as
a crazy person and then be looking for another job.

Again, this tells me that you probably don't make your living in the
field of hardware/software development.

Regards,

Mark
Cloud-9