[Coco] CoCo Wireless RS-232 Pak

Thu Mar 5 05:24:56 EST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 March 2009, J.P. Samson wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>>> I have to believe that you are well aware that giving away your
>>> CoCoNet software would directly undermine sales of DriveWire.
>>
>> Wouldn't giving away the CoCoNet software also undermine sales of
>> Roger's custom RS-232?  Anyone with an existing RS-232 Pak could get
>> all the functionality for free.
>
> Missing one point though.  Using Rogers bluetooth, we can do away
> with the
> sometimes pretty long cable from the pc to the coco.  My poor old
> coco3,
> sitting all set up but in the finished basement, about 25 feet away
> by a hole
> in the floor, has been damaged, or had stuff in the cabling damaged
> by the emp
> of a nearby lightning strike, twice now.  Using the bluetooth, there
> is no
> long cables to pick up the emp.

Yes, if you are interested in a BlueTooth RS-232 Pak, I imagine you'd
buy one regardless of whether CoCoNet existed.  In that case, CoCoNet
being free or bundled with the Pak really has no bearing on the
sale.  :-)

Giving CoCoNet away for nothing could also undermine sales of Roger's
CoCoNet ROM Pak, too, if one is content simply to load the CoCoNet DOS
off a floppy as needed.  (Painful, yes, but this is how DriveWire is
basically sold, too.)  This is the scenario that concerns Boisy,
because he is charging for the DriveWire client software.

But each of these two products, CoCoNet and DriveWire, do promote
sales of supporting hardware for their respective enterprises.  Roger
will be selling BlueTooth RS-232 Paks, and standalone Paks with
CoCoNet ROMS and serial cables.  Cloud-9 bundles a serial cable with
DriveWire software purchases, and will burn DriveWire ROMS for
insertion into existing floppy drive controllers.  Personally, I think
these additional purchases are required if you will be regularly using
the software.

This is a capitalist country, so we should be encouraged by such
competitive moves.  But the CoCo community is small, and I guess Boisy
isn't too happy about potentially having his toes stepped on in this
case.  But what should really be of concern to Boisy is whether the
CoCoNet software is superior to the DriveWire software.  That is what
is really going to affect his sales, regardless of whether CoCoNet
costs money or is free.

I'm not gonna take sides here or anything.  I don't think this is a
scenario where anybody needs to be taking sides.  I already own
DriveWire 2.  I have no idea if DriveWire 3 will be a compelling
upgrade--all the details assumedly haven't yet been released.  So
Boisy has made his money out of me and probably many others, and I
expect at some point Roger will too for his BlueTooth CoCoNet (unless
Cloud-9 pulls a rabbit out of its hat).

-- JP