[Coco] CoCo Wireless RS-232 Pak

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 21:55:52 EST 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009, J.P. Samson wrote:
>On Mar 4, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Boisy Pitre wrote:
>> I have to believe that you are well aware that giving away your
>> CoCoNet software would directly undermine sales of DriveWire.
>
>Wouldn't giving away the CoCoNet software also undermine sales of
>Roger's custom RS-232?  Anyone with an existing RS-232 Pak could get
>all the functionality for free.

Missing one point though.  Using Rogers bluetooth, we can do away with the
sometimes pretty long cable from the pc to the coco.  My poor old coco3,
sitting all set up but in the finished basement, about 25 feet away by a hole
in the floor, has been damaged, or had stuff in the cabling damaged by the emp
of a nearby lightning strike, twice now.  Using the bluetooth, there is no
long cables to pick up the emp.  When usb extension cables are $40 ea, and I
only have one left of the 3 I originally bought, failures induced by the
outside noise, I'll get this setup and not have to worry about that ever
again. Once again, the coco will be self contained, so the powerline on its
desk can bounce 100k volts in a different direction from this room, the whole
thing bounces in unison and there is no damage because there is no long
antenna.

This whole room except for the overhead lights, is running on a single duplex
outlet with about a 500 joule surge protector, and 80% of the rest is plugged
into a 1500WH UPS.

Amazingly to me, I have had a 125' piece if cat5 plugged into my 8 port switch
that runs into the basement and across to a point near where the telco line
comes thru the footing, then under the back porch and up the wall to an anchor
point on the back porch roof, then about 40 feet out to the shop building
stretched overhead across the back yard for almost 5 years now, and neither
the switch nor the nic in the milling machines box have been damaged.

Before I put everything on one power source in here, I used to lose a modem
every time somebody called that stuff butter.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)