[Coco] patching EDTASM+ to work with disk

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 3 08:55:52 EST 2009

Carlos Santiago wrote:
> So, I attempted to patch the cartridge version of EDTASM+ to work in
> disk extended basic. I entered the assembly language program, assembled
> it and saved it to cassette. when I tried to read the file from cassette
> to move it to disk, I got I/O errors. I used a microcassette recorder
> that I have had for years. Unfortunately, I found that the cassette
> player has a problem after I wrote the files to tape.
>
> 1. Can I some how attach the coco cassette wires to my PC sound card so
> that I can save and load program?
> 2. If so, what software do I need to use?
> 3. I have a copy DSK image of Disk EDTASM+, but it is on the PC, how do
> I transfer it to the coco?

You have a number of options. Don't reinvent the wheel. If you have
access to "The Rainbow", Sept. 1983, there is an article by Roger
Schrag, "Superpatch for EDTASM". It shows how to save and patch the
EDTASM ROM pak converting it to a disk program.

There are many ways to transfer a .dsk image on a PC to a real floppy.
What you use depends on whether your PC OS is based on DOS or is WinNT
or later.
For DOS based systems, any emulator that reads real disks can create
floppies. The utilities that come with the JVC emulator can also be used.
For WinNT XP or Vista systems, programs like Omniflop and Cocodisk can
be used to create floppies.
If you have a terminal program on your Coco (Ultimaterm for Basic or an
OS-9 package) you can transfer files to the Coco over a null-modem cable
using Hyperterminal or a similar PC program.