[Coco] Coco3 emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 2 15:59:13 EST 2009

Bill wrote:
> I have been trying to use the Coco3 emulator for some time now, but every
> time I do, I get an error that says:
>  "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. C5:17b4 IP:003a
> OP:dd 0c e0 0c 09 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"
>
> Does anyone know what that is all about and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks

There are several versions of the Vavasour Coco3 emulator but that might
not be the issue. To run this under WinXP, you must provide the correct
environment. That requires you to edit the file CONFIG.NT (should be in
Windows\System32).

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=100

Create a shortcut file with the following memory settings.
"Auto" for all memory entries and check the box "uses HMA".

You will probably want to have an empty file named 2Megs in the same
directory as the program.