[Coco] Coco3 emulator

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Mar 2 13:56:19 EST 2009

At 11:32 AM 3/2/2009, you wrote:
>Quoting Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net>:
>>Bill wrote:
>>>I have been trying to use the Coco3 emulator for some time now, but every
>>>time I do, I get an error that says:
>>>"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. C5:17b4 IP:003a
>>>OP:dd 0c e0 0c 09 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"
>>
>>Which CoCo 3 emulator are you trying to use?  Jeff Vavasour's, VCC,
>>David Keil's emulator, ROC, MESS?  Or one of the Dragon/CoCo
>>emulators.  Is this Linux, Mac, MS-DOS, or MS-Windows?  There are a
>>wealth of possibilities for emulating the CoCo in software.
>
>Some clues from Bill's original post.
>
>The NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) sugests that this is a dos based
>emulator running on a windows NT class machine, so Windows
>NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008.
>
>The address being specified as CS:IP also sugests a dos based program,
>I would sugest that it is trying to directly access the machine's
>hardware and windows is preventing it.

I've run Vavasour's emulator under XP for years (off and on).  It
didn't look pretty but you could at least launch it and do some
things.  Now it doesn't work under XP?  This screams of Microsoft to blame.

Maybe try the compatibility settings by right clicking the .exe file
and then Properties.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com