[Coco] Coco3 emulator

afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 12:32:02 EST 2009

Quoting Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net>:
> Bill wrote:
>> I have been trying to use the Coco3 emulator for some time now, but every
>> time I do, I get an error that says:
>> "The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. C5:17b4 IP:003a
>> OP:dd 0c e0 0c 09 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"
>
> Which CoCo 3 emulator are you trying to use?  Jeff Vavasour's, VCC,
> David Keil's emulator, ROC, MESS?  Or one of the Dragon/CoCo
> emulators.  Is this Linux, Mac, MS-DOS, or MS-Windows?  There are a
> wealth of possibilities for emulating the CoCo in software.

Some clues from Bill's original post.

The NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine) sugests that this is a dos based
emulator running on a windows NT class machine, so Windows
NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008.

The address being specified as CS:IP also sugests a dos based program,
I would sugest that it is trying to directly access the machine's
hardware and windows is preventing it.

However Bill, Joel does have a valid point we will be able to help you
much better if you tell us what emulator you are using and under what
environment.

On a side note, I wasn't aware of any of the Dragon based emulators,
also emulating the CoCo 3 (cirtainly not PCDragon or XRoar).

Cheers.

Phill.