[Coco] A Neat Experience

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Mar 25 09:23:13 EDT 2009

I had an interesting experience that I thought would be fun to share
with all of you.

Yesterday, I took part of the afternoon off to attend a funeral of a
friend.  The funeral was in a small town called Eunice, about 15 miles
west of where I live; we go there on occasion so I'm familiar with the
layout of the town, the available stores, etc.  After leaving the
church, I decided to stop by Wal-Mart to pick up a few things for my
trip to the fest this weekend, and on the way there, took note of a
building in an old shopping center. with an electronics shop  I had
noticed this building before and thought about stopping, but never
actually visited the store.

After leaving Wal-Mart, I decided to pull into the parking lot of this
old shopping center and went into the store, which turned out to be an
electronics/computer/CB radio type place; as soon as I walked through
the door, I noticed a set of items hanging from pegboard backed
shelving, and a picture in one of the items that looked almost like a
CoCo.  It turned out to be MC-10 Micro Color Computer Carry Cases (RS
part #26-529).  Next to that were some 6' Serial Cables for the Color
Computer and MC-10 (26-3020A).  This merchandise carried the original
Radio Shack price tags and packaging.

It turns out that in talking with the owner, this was the old Radio
Shack store; the current owner had bought all of the old inventory
along with the store, changed the name and left Radio Shack merch
hanging on the shelves.  I asked if he had any other old stock, but he
said the only thing he had was a Radio Shack printer, still new in the
box, somewhere in the back.  I didn't have much time to wait for him
to look for it, so I picked up the items that I had found, purchased
them and left.

I would think that it's extremely unusual to walk into a store in this
day and age and see original Radio Shack products for the CoCo or its
counterparts, and makes you wonder just how much of this new old stock
is still out there.  All in all, it was a neat little happenstance
that, for a moment, took me back.

Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre
--