[Coco] Smart subscription bots

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 21 09:03:57 EDT 2009

Wow.  I wonder if this is related to the "canned meat email" I've
been seeing, where the sender's address is my own?  Fortunately,
Earthlink puts any mail from me that is to me in the Junk folder, or
I would be getting numerous messages every day from myself --
messages that I in no way sent.

Are these "real names" actual people who have made posts to the list
in the past but are now under a new email address?

On Jun 21, 2009, at Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 7:12 AM, Dennis Bathory-
Kitsz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've had an uptick in fake subcription requests in multiple lists
> and sites than I manage. Usually these could be filtered out
> because the robots wouldn't put in a real name. But now they are
> coming with the full form filled in -- the past three requests to
> the CoCo list have been bogus.
>
> So assistant admins please do not subscribe anyone immediately
> anymore. Check if their name and email plus "color computer" or
> "coco" or "trs-80" or "tandy" come up in a search. That will give
> you some reassurance that the subscriber is real.
>
> If you have any doubt, reject the request with a brief note about
> new smart bots and that they should contact the admin with a line
> or two about their CoCo interests. I'll get the followup email if
> they're real.
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis
>

> Country Stores book!