[Coco] Smart subscription bots

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Sun Jun 21 07:12:37 EDT 2009

Hi all,

We've had an uptick in fake subcription requests in multiple lists
and sites than I manage. Usually these could be filtered out because
the robots wouldn't put in a real name. But now they are coming with
the full form filled in -- the past three requests to the CoCo list
have been bogus.

So assistant admins please do not subscribe anyone immediately
anymore. Check if their name and email plus "color computer" or
"coco" or "trs-80" or "tandy" come up in a search. That will give you
some reassurance that the subscriber is real.

If you have any doubt, reject the request with a brief note about new
smart bots and that they should contact the admin with a line or two
about their CoCo interests. I'll get the followup email if they're real.

Thanks,
Dennis

Country Stores book!
<http://www.amazon.com/Country-Stores-Vermont-Dennis-Bathory-kitsz/dp/1596294752/>