[Coco] GIME chip data collection

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 19 05:41:00 EDT 2009

Thanks to those who have submitted their GIME chip data so far.

I've been adding the info into a spreadsheet and I can see one trend so far.

The first number, possibly a batch number has come in three variants.

A 6xx number which appears to be batches of Korean '86 chips.

A 7xx number which appears to be batches of Mexican '86 chips.

A 8xx number which appears to be batches of Korean '87 chips.

Does this first digit signify a batch? Maybe a version number?

Someone once told me that there were at least 7 revisions of the GIME
and that the '86 and '87 were the last and final 2 releases. We all know
that the '86 GIME has more bugs than the '87 so could there be various
versions of the '86 with different fixes?

Also the chip "model number" is TCC1014 on the Korean '86 chips whereas
it is TCC1014A on the Mexican '86 and Korean '87 chips. Maybe the Korean
'86 chips are the buggy ones while the other '86 and the '87 are fixed?

Interestingly, Brother Jeremy's prototype production CoCo3 so far has
the lowest 6xx number (614) and the "model number" seems to have a name
.... TCC1014-TEQUILA.

Frank thinks that first number is a batch/date code. Can anyone shed
more light on these GIME chip markings?

A typical chip has these numbers...

629 V C030
2645A0001
TCC1014
(c) TANDY 1986
KOREA A

There also seems to be two manufacturer logos... VTi and VLSI. Can
anyone explain what they stand for or even who and where these companies
are?

I will post the completed list after a few weeks after more data is
gathered so keep it coming and I'll keep the spreadsheet up to date.

Nick Marentes