[Coco] OT: setting up default gateway ip address

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Sun Jun 7 16:16:20 EDT 2009

Hi Alen,

Very quick reply.

Since you are using a Router as your switch (smart hub), let it handle
the automatic configuration of the IP addresses (DHCP) for everything
but the server.
It's the server that should have a fix (not dynamic) IP address.  Most
Routers use 192.168.1.1 for them selfs and start assigning dynamic IP
addresses at 50 or above.
You should be safe with 192.168.1.2 for your server's IP address.
(Double check your router's user manual for IP address details.)

This setup is by far the easiest solution and will let you get up and
without buying (or making) a special crossover cable.

It should be noted that your every day home router is one of the best
firewalls you can have.  (99.99% of home routers have never been hacked!)

Steve