[Coco] OT: setting up default gateway ip address

N8WQ exwn8jef at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 13:34:45 EDT 2009

Gang,
I am attempting to set up a stand alone server on my computer desk for
learning purposes.
My goal at the moment is to have a backup server for my laptop. I also
want to learn how to create user accounts using Active Directory and
learn server maintenance in general.

The only computer hooked up to my server (at the moment) will be my
laptop. Later, as I learn what I am doing (LOL) I will add more connections.

Please forgive my newbie questions but I a beginner at learning
networking. I have used Google and done some searching, but I find the
information out there to be very confusing.

1. Do I have to have a router or can I use a Ethernet Switch between my
server and my laptop?

2. What IP addresses should I use for my server? I need to input a
static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and preferred DNS
server. I am using the Microsoft Training kit for Windows 2003 Server,
so I want my stand alone server to be a domain controller and DNS server
if possible.

3. I am using a wireless router for my internet connection for all of my
computers in my home, but it is not necessary for my server to be
connected to the internet.

My server equipment is the following:
Desktop Computer: Sempron CPU, 1 Gig RAM, 160 Gig hard drive, integrated
LAN controller
Ethernet Switch:  5 ports

Thanks for the bandwidth!

O. Alan Jones