[Coco] Get to know your neighbors, folks

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Jun 2 01:29:49 EDT 2009

Your fellow webmaster and CoCo friend almost bit the dust today.  Not
like the high speed rollover I had a few years back or the time I
slammed into the back of a highly flammable gas canister truck, but
something different.

A family backyard picnic today turned into chaos today.  The kids
woofed down their hot dogs and jumped back in the pool and started
feuding again as usual.  I finally got to sit down with a huge steak
and some sliced sausage.

On about my second big bite of steak I didn't chew it nearly long
enough.  I bet you can figure the rest out.  When it got hung and
wouldn't cough up, I decided to try to swallow it harder, then it
*really* got stuck.  No air flow at all, guys.  I jumped up and tried
to cough it out for 30 seconds with no luck.  A quick gulp of soda
only made it worse.  My little kids started panicking and crying. I
made it obvious I was choking.  My girl yelled that she didn't know
what to do.  I knew I had to find another adult and quick.  Out of
about 6 lazy and odd neighbors I chose the house where a (not fully
citizen-status) Mexican family lives and ran up on their porch and
yanked the door open.  The mother was sitting on the couch and I went
through all the motions and whatnot that you'd expect a dying fella
to do to get help.  She didn't understand.  I could barely get a gasp
to say "I'm choking" but it didn't come out right.  She just looked
at me. The kids were crying.  She followed me out on the porch.

I was getting weak and my face probably went through 10 shades of
purple before I grabbed the woman's arms and put them around me and
showed her what to do.  She didn't do anything.  She didn't know what
I was talking about.  Still, no air.  I was in trouble, but at the
second, I realized I was *really* in trouble if she didn't understand
what was going on.  Finally she attempted the motions but she wasn't
doing it hard enough.  So I *barely* got enough gasp to say, Harder!,
but again, it didn't come out in Spanish, nor nearly loud enough to
be vocal.  The kids were hysterical.  I told my little boy it was
going to be ok, which took my last bit of breath-effort and was
almost inaudible.  Finally the lady started to improve... but it
wasn't working! I tried with all my might to puke the damn chunk of
steak up but it wasn't budging.  I could feel my passageway under
serious pressure.

Then at last, a miracle thrust to my gut from the woman resulted
in.... (giggle now, because I'm alive) a huge chunk of steak about 1
inch in diameter hurling through the air, across her porch... it
rolled to a stop.  Actually, I saw it in slow motion so it took
forever to come to a complete stop.   Slobber was all over the place
and the kids were still crying, but a life was saved.  During her
last thrusts I was also trying like hell to barf, so with all things
combined, the obstacle was pursuaded to move.  I'm still in a little
shock I guess.  In 41 years, nothing like that until now.  Get to
know your neighbors, folks.  Learn some Spanish?  I refused the idea
until now but tonight I'll *probably* Google up "I'm choking" and
keep that on standby.

Lessons learned: chew your food well, know thy neighbors, stay in
shape so you can run fast.

That is all.

--
Roger Taylor