[Coco] 128k Bubble Memory

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Jul 28 00:59:15 EDT 2009

Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:

>There ARE other choices Roger, chief among them being linux.

Oh, I know linux.... I *really* know linux. Since kernel version 1.2.13! My
"Linux From Scratch" registration number is 9350. ;-)

>  Todays os-9.  and its free to boot.

Try as I might, I can't get Linux to fit in 64K... ;-)

>Or better yet, dl a copy of mandriva-2009.1 and install that.  I'll
>eventually
>be using it instead of fedora 10 here.

Oh, I dropped RedHat when they went to the whole "Fedora" fiasco. 9.0 was
my last version of that. Last time I tried Mandrake (yea, it was Mandrake)
it was considered the most unsecure Linux distro *ever*. (Times may have
changed, but I'm a stubborn old coot!) Caldera was awesome back at version
2.3, but that was a decade ago now they're just another SCO embarrassment.
Debian was just *too darned huge*, Slackware and Puppy are just *too darned
small* other than specialty usage. I had a little fun with DSL... and
Sabayon never seemed "quite finished" to me. Novell has now officially
boned SuSE (which the wife & her uncle still run 9.2pro on their
desktops... it refuses to break ---  complete with OpenOffice 1.1, to give
you an idea of their vintage. Wifey's Uncle upgraded from Windows 3.1 to
that instead of XP; he figured if he had to relearn something anyway, it
might as well be stable & free), and too many bouts of "Why'd they call it
*that*" to consider the *BSD's and not enough free time to change that
perception.

For the last couple years, my "install it and forget it" (like many others
across this marble) is Ubuntu -- Yea, I'm rarely a "me too" kinda guy
(obviously) but hey -- it "just works" for me when I don't have time for
LFS. I have a Mythbuntu installation on my rebuilt TiVo-like box, and the
wifey's got it on her new laptop, which booted Vista exactly once...
because I didn't hit F8 in time to boot from CD. ;-) I have 3 servers
running Ubuntu Server LTS, and still have one old server running LFS.

I may purchase Win7 because I can get the 1/2 price upgrade from my old
Fujitsu lappity-toppity-box before the test OpenFiler install, and the fact
I know close to nothing about Vista means I'm "really behind the times" in
the Winders world.

Holy crap, I ramble too much sometimes. 8->

Anyway, y'all have a good nite, and ping m100 at list.30below.com to see if
anyone there has one of the bubble memory units for the Model 100.

[[ Had to bring it back ontopic somehow... ;-) ]]

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein