[Coco] [Color Computer] Polymorphisim in BASIC?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 00:48:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM, vacuumboy1<vacuumboy1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all! I was wondering, is there any possible way BASIC can become polymorphic? I mean, can't it keep making changes on a casette? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
>
>                                                                 Kyle

"polymorphic" can mean more than one thing in a computer language, but
assuming you mean that you want to write a basic program that for some
reason changes itself in memory while executing, then i suppose you
could poke values into memory at just the right places and end up with
a different BASIC program in the buffer than when you started.  with a
lot of very precise work you might get something that didn't destroy
itself too often, but personally i'm lost as to why you would want to.
perhaps if you explained more about what you're trying to do, the list
could give better advice.  and in general, writing self modifying code
is much easier to do in machine language where its all just bytes
instead of trying to second guess the tokenizer and whatnot in BASIC.