[Coco] 128k Bubble Memory

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz dennis-ix at maltedmedia.com
Sun Jul 26 07:25:15 EDT 2009

At 06:38 AM 7/26/2009, you wrote:
>I'm inputting the Color Computer Magazine issues into the database, and came
>across the 128k Bubble Memory hardware project by Dennis Kitsz.  Did anyone
>on this list ever build one?

As the author, I may have been the only one.

What a story. The bubble memory module was discontinued by the
company (Intel was it?) after the article went to print.

Here's how it went: We had samples from the company, designed and
built the unit, had the boards made, and had a finished and tested
unit. I think it went to Jake Commander, who had been writing a
Bubble OS for it that would have appeared in a later magazine. We
were negotiating a price on these bubble memories (they were really
expensive and required weird powering, too) and one Monday morning we
called to place our order. The number was disconnected. The entire
company division had been shut down over the weekend, and bubble
memory manufacturing was ended.

So as far as I know, my unit was the only one built -- unless other
people had access to the discontinued bubble memory modules. We sold
one circuit board, as I recall, and eventually refunded the purchase.
We sold our small sample kits of bubbles and controller chips to an
interested person some months later.

And here's a coincidence -- yesterday at 3:00pm all that material
went to the dump!

Dennis

Country Stores book!
<http://www.amazon.com/Country-Stores-Vermont-Dennis-Bathory-kitsz/dp/1596294752/>