[Coco] SCSI tape driver for OS-9?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 15 21:51:18 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009, Tim Fadden wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Yes, I believe you have nailed that one.  I keep forgetting how slow the
>>> throughput is on these old mu-chines :-).
>>>
>>> I probably should link in the DriveWire driver and just copy the hard
>>> disk over the wire.
>>
>> And I expect that would be faster if drivewire is setup to smoke.
>
>Took me about 6 hours for 70meg worth of data on a 105meg drive using dsave.

That is 11,666,666.6667bytes/hour or 194,444.444444 bytes/minute and
3,240.74074074 bytes/sec.  It seems to me that drivewire ought to be faster
when I can do a megaread in 13.5 secs on a stock coco, and in 11 secs on my
63C09 equipt home machine.  Not counting housekeeping, which on a coco is
considerable when its writing as opposed to reading, that means it should move
around 5megs/minute.  I don't think rbf.mn's housekeeping can account for the
missing 4.8 megs/minute.

OTOH, dsave isn't exactly a speed daemon either.  I dunno, so I'll shaddup. :)

One thing that will help, set the descriptors SAS (default 8) up to FF for the
run, you'll get no fragmentation & won't waste rbf's time going back to the
fat for 8 new sectors for every 2048 bytes written.  That change alone can
double the speed when writing cuz most files will be written in one chunk (one
fd.seg entry in the fd sector) and rbf gives back the unused disk when the
file is closed.

Just my $0.02, adjust for inflation. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

... I want FORTY-TWO TRYNEL FLOATATION SYSTEMS installed within
SIX AND A HALF HOURS!!!