[Coco] [Color Computer] Telnet program?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 13 22:07:42 EDT 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

>>> Rain ----> parade:
>>>  http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5NP0D15GUE.html
>>
>> Thanks, that's very interesting!  However, IMHO anyone that opens the
>> admin web server to the WAN has rocks in their head to begin with.
>>
>> The first thing I did was ensure that remote admin was disabled.
>
>Very true. Admin interface open to the public is just begging to be
>exploited.  Of course the internal side can be troublesome too.  There
>are two wtr54g's that broadcast into my house well enough to use their
>connection.  I am tempted to try the exploits mentioned in that
>announcement, but in truth it would be unnecessary since both are
>using the default SSID, no encryption, and the default login/password.
> I suspect thats by far the most common configuration :)

All too true I fear.  Those that is shipping to dsl people are a bit tighter
than that now.  I had a hell of a time getting into the one next door so I
could setup a NAT & forward, and vz didn't want to tell me that, said I wasn't
the user and I could go pound sand.  So I started a guessing game and hit it
on about the 30th try.  Needless to say I changed it all to much longer
usernames and passwords & had the neighbors write it down for the next time I
needed to do that.  Because of those difficulties, I suspect that less than 1%
of them are ever customized by the service subscriber.

The last time I had to call vz over my connection, the help desk jockey was
very insistent he could, using something like pcanywhere, log in to see if I
was doing it right, despite my statement that this box wasn't running windows
in any version.  He said "Its a pc isn't it" so I told him to go right ahead,
I'd go get a cuppa while he tried.  When I got back with the cuppa, he said I
wasn't there at that address & I was like "what was it I was telling you?, now
speak to me as a tech, and if you can't do that, escalate the ticket".  We
went through that 2 more times before I got somebody who knew what a ping or
traceroute was.  Then they had to send a tech out and reset the router in
Clarksburg.  It had forgotten me and my email password, only for email.

Ya buy these kids books, and send them to college for 4 years, and they think
they know it all when they get a min wage job in a helpdesk monkey cage.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I want EARS!  I want two ROUND BLACK EARS to make me feel warm 'n secure!!