[Coco] looking for joystick repair tips.

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 19:06:31 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----
From: William Schaub <wschaub at steubentech.com>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 11:00:33 AM
Subject: [Coco] looking for joystick repair tips.

I have two deluxe joysticks that seem to need my attention. they don't register the full range of motion particularly on the down and up positions. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for restoring coco joysticks. (the ones in the white case that can be switched from spring loaded to totally free and have calibration levers)

I know I will have to take it apart but I have no idea what I am looking for. is it just a simple matter of cleaning or are there some components I will have to replace?
-----

It's possible, but not likely (I think) that cleaning the pots will restore the full range to the pots. Worth doing regardless. The only components in a CoCo joystick are 2 pots, 2 buttons. The deluxe joysticks are mechanically a little more complex but nothing extreme. Nothing should jump out or fall apart when you open it up.

If cleaning fails to work, there may be an issue with the joystick 5v supply. It is a current-limited setup that is sensitive to any drop in voltage. For example, I once tried putting a power LED in a CoCo joystick, the power consumption was enough to cause a loss of range in the joystick.

Check for clean connections by measuring voltage in the computer and in the joystick. Measure the 5V line and the X and Y lines to see if they are consistent inside the computer vs inside the stick.

HTH,
Bob