[Coco] Sega Genesis Gamepad on CoCo

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Sun Jul 5 19:33:25 EDT 2009

On Jul 5, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Derek wrote:
> Ran into an interesting situation. I have one of the Wico adapters
> to let me use Atari (9 PIN type) joysticks on my coco and with a
> standard joystick it works great. I also have an Atari 800 and I am
> able to take a standard 9 Pin type game pad from a Sega Genesis and
> use it on the Atari without any problems. When I plug the game pad
> into the Wico adapter on the coco it makes all the games act like I
> am holding the direction control to the right. I have tried multiple
> pads with various games and it always does the same thing. I can
> move the d-pad direction control  all directions and it works but
> when I let go it acts like I am pushing to the right
>

> Anyone know of a quick fix for this? I would not mind rewiring one
> of the game pads to make it work.

I'm interested in any insight on this problem, too.  I thought that
Sega Genesis controllers would be backwards compatible with the Atari
joysticks.  I built my own adapter using the Atari-to-CoCo schematics
out there.  But the Genesis control pad won't work with it, just as it
didn't work with Derek's Wico adapter.  (I get different directional
outputs than Darek did, however.)  The game pads don't look that easy
to rewire since the buttons/d-pad lines feed into a small IC via a
circuit board rather than directly out of the controller via the cable.

-- JP