[Coco] Coco Memory

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 08:16:26 EDT 2009

the 8086 can address a full (normal) 1024k.  640k is what was left for
the user after the upper 384k was reserved by IBM for other purposes
(video memory, i/o, bios, etc).

the coco does essentially the same thing, for example in a "32k"
machine, i think about 28k is actually available.  i'm sure someone
here can given a more exact number :)

as for why the coco "couldn't do it", the addressable range of a CPU
and the amount of ram installed are often not the same.  the amount of
ram you can install is basically determined by how the motherboard or
memory card are designed, with the upper limit the address space of
the cpu (without bank switching and other tricks).   if you created
some functional memory device with a strange amount of ram on it, the
6809 on the coco could address whatever was there just fine.