[Coco] older forum archives

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Jul 12 17:47:15 EDT 2009

As most know, the forums I had in place up until the 2007 crash is
still archived.  I want to take the thousands of messages and merge
them into the current forum system somehow... not the users, but the
posts.  The posts will probably require to be linked to an existing
user in the current forums.  I'm not sure how to go about this project yet.

I want to relieve any pain from those who have posts hundreds of
messages over the years and had to see some or all of them vanish
during a database crash or mishap.  They're not gone, so hang in
there.  The content is still here from the old forums (IPB system).

I need to merge the old posts into a phpbb2 database somehow.  I
think a script would need to be run that creates an SQL command
script for inserting the old posts into the new database.  When I
import the script into phpMyAdmin, the content hopefully would merge
in without clashing with any current index values for existing posts.

I want to keep the old dates (the time doesn't matter) and add posts
as if they are newly posted but hoping they don't float to the top.

I think a project like this will require a PHP/MySQL dabbler as well
as someone semi-smart with the inner workings of Invision Power Board
and phpBB2.  The closest person with those credentials that I know of
is myself.  Gasp.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com