[Coco] [Color Computer] Multi-Pak Question

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 17:04:57 EST 2009

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, seanrussoct08 wrote:

> I have a quick question.  I have a multi-pak 26-3124 that i bought off
> of Ebay a few years ago and haven't used it much.
>
> I had a friend several years ago tell me that he thought you could use
> one of these multi-paks to access more than one device at a time, but
> i didn't think you could.  Could someone settle this for me? and if
> yes, how do you?

Well, to be precise the computer will only ever access one device at a
time.  But, what I believe you're asking is whether you can have more than
one cartridge plugged in and have the software get to the one that's
appropriate :-).  The answer would be "yes", at least for OS-9.  For
example, I have a Tandy floppy controller in slot 4, an HDisk IDE
controller in slot 3 and a Burke&Burke MFM hard disk interface in slot 2.
The computer is booted with the switch on slot 4 for the floppy and start
from there.  Once OS-9 (actually, NitrOS9) is up, any or all of them can
be gotten to.

Others on the list run the serial interface in slot 1 or 2 and use that
for data transfer or a remote terminal.

> 2nd, if i buy the hardware from cloud9 to convert this to a coco3
> capable multi-pak, will it never work on my coco2 again?

Mark will have to give you the definitive answer on that, I'm afraid.