[Coco] Microware C Compiler port

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 19 20:08:21 EST 2009

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:03:23AM -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>
>> I sent the compiler sources and binaries to about six people that
>> contacted me directly, but have heard nothing, nada, zilch, zip..
>>
>> Has anyone tried using it for anything?  Any comments or observations?
>
> Sorry for the delay -- sometimes life intervenes.
>
> I've been without a good coco emulation/development environment
> for some time due to never quite completing a move between laptops.
> It is possible that my lack of a seasoned environment explains my
> lack of success in running the 'hello' program from cc/test.
>
> I am running Fedora 10 on an X86_64, with sdlmess-0128-1.fc10.x86_64
> from rhe RPMFusion repository.  I downloaded the current coco3/6809
> nitros-9 images from sourceforge (linked from nitros9.org), and renamed
> the disk image to end in .os9 to ensure MESS uses the proper geometry.
> MESS seems to work fine through the nitros9 boot.
>
> I used cc/test/cc to build hello from hello.c without any errors.
> I then used 'os9 format' to build a disk image and 'os9 copy' to copy
> hello to it.  I then mounted the new disk image as disk #1 in MESS.
> 'dir /d1' in MESS shows the hello binary and AFAICT ident seems to
> think it is a valid binary.
>
> This is where the brain fart seems to have begun.  '/d1/hello' gives
> Error #215.  'chd /d1' followed by 'chx /d1' followed by 'hello'
> also gives Error #215.  What have I forgotten or done wrong?
>
> Hopefully I can be more helpful once I overcome this stumbling
> block. :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

You need more than Ident to determine that a program will run. You need
to run Attr and determine if either e or pe is set to indicate the file
is indeed executable.

The bad pathname is what happens when you try to run a file not labeled
as executable. Clearly this is silly as the path is valid but the
attributes are not. The reported error should be 214 "no permission" so
there is a bug somewhere in OS-9.