[Coco] Microware C Compiler port

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jan 19 19:53:56 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:03:23AM -0500, Steven Hirsch wrote:

> I sent the compiler sources and binaries to about six people that
> contacted me directly, but have heard nothing, nada, zilch, zip..
>
> Has anyone tried using it for anything?  Any comments or observations?

Sorry for the delay -- sometimes life intervenes.

I've been without a good coco emulation/development environment
for some time due to never quite completing a move between laptops.
It is possible that my lack of a seasoned environment explains my
lack of success in running the 'hello' program from cc/test.

I am running Fedora 10 on an X86_64, with sdlmess-0128-1.fc10.x86_64
from rhe RPMFusion repository.  I downloaded the current coco3/6809
nitros-9 images from sourceforge (linked from nitros9.org), and renamed
the disk image to end in .os9 to ensure MESS uses the proper geometry.
MESS seems to work fine through the nitros9 boot.

I used cc/test/cc to build hello from hello.c without any errors.
I then used 'os9 format' to build a disk image and 'os9 copy' to copy
hello to it.  I then mounted the new disk image as disk #1 in MESS.
'dir /d1' in MESS shows the hello binary and AFAICT ident seems to
think it is a valid binary.

This is where the brain fart seems to have begun.  '/d1/hello' gives
Error #215.  'chd /d1' followed by 'chx /d1' followed by 'hello'
also gives Error #215.  What have I forgotten or done wrong?

Hopefully I can be more helpful once I overcome this stumbling
block. :-)

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at tuxdriver.com			of your literate lifestyle.