[Coco] Connect CoCo Floppy drive to Windows PC

Bill Barnes da3m0n_slay3r at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 14:27:50 EST 2009

IIRC, the PC Floppy controller is "sleeping" because when they designed it, they designed the supporting structure to reset the FDC chip every time the sector 0 sync hole came along. The CoCo didn't do that. Because of this there is an unused gap between the sync and chip "reset" recovery before it can write or read to the disk. It's in that gap, where the CoCo writes because it isn't clobbered over the head every sync to reset, that the PCs have a difficult time reading or writing to a CoCo disk that was formatted on a CoCo. Formatting a CoCo disk on the PC eliminates the unreadable time frame, as far as the PC is concerned, and the CoCo could care less that that gap exists.

-Later!   -WB-    -- BABIC Computer Consulting.