[Coco] Monitor Adapters was >Re: *COOL* Look what I found! (VideoMod for CoCo2)

John Eric jet.pack at ymail.com
Sat Jan 10 14:49:08 EST 2009

Fedor,
Your post got me to thinking about monitor adapters for the CoCo. Looking at the 6847 data sheet, it appears that the 0a and 0b (theta a and theta b) signals of the VDG are R-Y (theta a), and B-Y (theta b), along with Y (Luminance). These are the signals normally mixed by the MC1372 to generate the composite video. The CoCo's 1 and 2 all have a 1372 either on the motherboard, or later, within the RF Modulator itself. You could tap the composite video from the MC1372 thru a buffer and an amp (two transistors) and achieve full color direct composite video, or you could make an adapter that included it's own MC1372. If you did this, then you could use a switch that allowed the reversing of the diode across pins 13 and 14, the effect of which should provide inverse video (inverse video can also be obtained by inverting the signal entering pin 32 of the VDG.)
However, even more interesting than all of that is that since we have luminance, r-y and b-y, we should be able to create an RGB monitor adapter for the CoCo 1 and 2. Let me explain, If we feed  those three signals into properly configured high speed operational amplifiers we can generate the Red and Blue signals for an RGB monitor, then by mixing and buffering the Red and Blue signals in proper proportion, we can generate the Green signal. We would then end up with an RGB color signal, with Sync On Green. Sync could be seperated if the rgb monitor in question does not support sync on green. In theory, this sounds achievable - four high speed op-amps (single, dual or quad packaging should all work), about 7 caps and a handful of resistors. Okay, time for me to place another parts order because I REALLY want to try this. If I can calculate the outputs correctly so that they don't exceed .7 volts, I should be able to bring my CoCo 2 up on my CM-8 monitor.
 I need to determine which op-amps to use - they need to have a relatively high bandwidth and a high slew rate, and should operate off a single 5v supply (since that's all a CoCo 2 has). I'll keep you posted as to whether this pans out or not. -JEric