[Coco] cocotape.exe available by request

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Jan 10 02:15:47 EST 2009

At 11:06 PM 1/9/2009, you wrote:
>i received both mailings - i guess the other guys email bounced his
>back. man you are a genius. My dad talks about your projector being
>the best coco program he ever saw :)

Tell him Thanks.  :)

When I fire up my Projector-3 program, I actually see 3 or 4 years of
pain that has come and gone.  Let me explain.
There's actually a soul in P-3 made up of everything I'm about to
mention, probably for the first time ever.

It took me a Long time to write Projector-3.  I slept very little
during this time.  Some of my allnighters resulted in passing out at
5am and having nightmares being caught in a code loop not being able
to escape. You might not believe it, but I'd run or write routines in
my head during my sleep.  I'd go through the code in my head trying
to debug it, and wake up with the solution.

Most of P-3 was written during my wild days when I was around 25.  I
had moved to Magnolia AR to take up a Coca-Cola route.  The city was
kinda small and I experienced the New Guy in Town life that went on
for years.  Many whores and even hard-to-get ladies found me out and
I went through my you-know-what peak, becoming the alpha-male in the
circle of friends that hung around me.  I went from a computer "nerd"
(as they used to call anybody with a computer) with lots of good
lifetime buddies to a low-profile computer programmer with the
ability to get you-know-what'd as often as I liked, so I had this
pulling effect between fun and my other fun which was
programming.  So, P-3 was mostly written during my years of so-called
town fame and I attribute the quality of the program to every woman
that broke my heart.  To get my mind off of "her" I'd block it all
out and fire up EDTASM and spend the next weeks coding heavily on a
determined program that would be completed no matter what.  And so it was.

As for the program itself, P-3 actually started as "The Projector",
not having dither capabilities and having less formats.  P-3 went on
to decode and encode more formats making it a graphics interchange
system + viewer.  P-3 is very close to an operating system with all
of it's core routines and common hooks to call them from external
programs that the shell can load.  The system recognizes programs you
place on the disk ending with .EC* for the filename, with * being the
letter you hit while holding down the ALT key.  This is how Mirror,
Negative, and other functions work.

Robert Gault has written at least two codecs for P-3.  Using the
global.asm include file, your codec or subprogram knows about the
system calls to use if you want to.

As I explained back in the 90's, P-3 would live on because you can
expand it with drop-in codecs.  These are *.fmt files containing
decode, encode, and view routines, all able to call P-3 system
routines to take the pain out of the work.  That's why these drivers
are so small.  You basically decode the picture on your own and send
the color stream to P-3's shell.  P-3 renderings the image
automatically and displays it.  P-3 can encode a picture file by
sending the screen's colors to the right codec, chosen by the
extension you type for the Save Filename.

P-3 can also display text files and play music but due to the lack of
assembly programmers, the system might not ever see it's full potential.
The CCASM source code is available as a Rainbow IDE project!  You can
click GO and build the massive P-3 floppy disk in about 15 seconds.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com