[Coco] Cable

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Feb 27 12:52:11 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:16:22PM -0600, Ryan Pritchard wrote:
> Does the Glenside IDE board work on a CoCo 1?

Should be able to, but I don't know if anyone has done so.

>Is there a chance the driver diskettes can come in 3.5" DD diskette.

If needful, I can make you that disk.

>I don't have a Multi-Pak Interface, and to my knowledge I would not
>be able to run the IDE controller and my FDC controller together.

In theory, the Glenside IDE controller can be used AS a y-cable.  It's
extra long because the board has space for two CoCo expansion slots.
However, the connectors to actually plug something in are NOT
included, and those are the part that's hard to find. You would have
to find the connectors (either hack up a dead MPI or chop down a PC/XT
expansion socket) and solder them in.  AFAIK no one has actually done
this.

I asked on the list if anyone had last year, when my MPI died.  No one
responded and I was eventually able to scrounge up another MPI.

It would have the same power-supply issues as a y-cable.  The CoCo's
apparently have wimpy power supplies which are barely capable of
powering one gizmo in the expansion port, much less 2 or 3.

Since the Glenside board doesn't have the ground tabs on its own, or
places to mount ground tab holders on the expansion bus, there could
be issues of keeping everything in straight....

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard