[Coco] Buyer beware

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Feb 23 21:17:35 EST 2009

Well, you only got screwed if the ad stated that it was a perfectly working machine. If it said untested or something like that then you took your chances and lost. Better luck next time.

But all is not lost after all! First, separate the case and see what's loose in there. Might be a RAM chip that worked out (if it has socketed RAM). Could be something that found it's way in through the catridge port. Whatever it is, it needs to come out! While in there, pull then push back in any socketed chips. That might be the only problem IF it has socketed RAM. If not, "garbage screen" is the classic sign that the 6809 processor is blown. Easy to do -- just get a cartridge a little crooked when putting it in or taking it out of the slot and the 6809 will blow. That's why nothing should be put in or out of the port with the power on.

A 6809 is pretty easy to replace if you can solder at all. Easiest way is to clip the old one out close to the chip body. Then if you have the tools and skill remove the legs one by one and solder a socket in for a new 6809 (or 6309). If you aren't sure of your desoldering skills, you can put a new 6809 over the old legs and solder the new one to the old legs. It will stick up from the board a bit, but it will work provided all the solder joints are good.

------------
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:38:37 -0500
From: "Bill" <cwgordon at carolina.rr.com>

Well, I'm among the (probably) thousands who have been bilked on eBay. I an
effort to find an affordable Coco, I bought a 16K 26-3002 machine. The body
is in great shape, but it won't even boot up. Garbage on the screen. And
there is a piece of something rattling around inside. The "tamper hole" has
had a replacement seal put very carefully over the damaged one, and the
buyer MADE SURE that it was sold AS-IS-no refunds.

I know I'm not the only one to fall for something like this, and I "puts
down my money and takes my chances" along with everyone else.

This is just a reminder to those who have never bought from eBay: BE
CAREFUL. You too, could get screwed.

This is just one that I will have to accept and move on.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"