[Coco] [Color Computer] Another flaky question: RAM "snapshot" device

Fred D. Provoncha fredprov5 at usfamily.net
Thu Feb 19 20:39:54 EST 2009

> From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] [Color Computer] Another flaky question: RAM
	"snapshot" device
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> David Bush wrote:

> >> I have several CoCo programs which, as far as I know,
> >> exist only on my 5.25" floppies: Pyramix, The Source,
> >> Demon Seed, Sinistaar.
> >>
> >> I purchased each of these legally. Their copy protection
> >> schemes are in the long run potentially damaging, both
> >> to the diskettes and the diskette drive. Demon Seed in
> >> particular is quite a drive thrasher.
> >>
> >> I would like to be able to disassemble and modify these
> >> programs so they can run off my hard drive. To that end,
> >> I have in mind a hardware device which would work as
> >> follows: I load and run the software. While it is
> >> running, I push a button, and the CPU receives a
> >> non-maskable interrupt. The address of the NMI routine
> >> is also changed, so control is transferred to another
> >> program while the copy-protected program is still
> >> sitting in RAM. I could then transfer RAM to a disk file
> >> to examine and disassemble at my leisure.
> >>
> >> Does this seem feasible? Is there a simpler solution?
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> BTW there is a bug in Demon Seed which crops up if you
> >> attain the boss ship level (fifth level) for the second
> >> (or maybe third) time. Sometimes it works, and sometimes
> >> the program crashes the moment the boss level starts.
> >> Does anyone have a patch?
>

> I don't see much hope of this method working. The best approach is to
> disassemble the games so that copy protection can be bypassed. That's
> assuming the authors have not released unprotected versions.
> Of course you should always see if someone else has done the work.  :)
> Pyramix
> http://coco.clubltdstudios.com/downunder/RSDOS/Briang/Briang/

Wow! I've actually been looking for the game Pyramix for a LONG time! I didn't know it was on the Web. Thanks! Robert! I immediately downloaded the .DSK file, put it on a floppy, and then copied the contents of the floppy over to my Coco's hard drive. Finally I get to play this game!

Fred Provoncha
Stansbury Park, UT

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---