[Coco] [Color Computer] Another flaky question: RAM "snapshot" device

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 19 00:33:18 EST 2009

Ron Bihler wrote:
> I do recall in the day there was a program that would run and allow a
> memory dump of the program in memory.  One would load the cracking
> program into memory and then run the protected software and halt the
> coco allowing the memory to be extracted.
> It's been a very long time, but I do know this program had been used to
> make pirate copies of software of several big protected titles.
> Again I know there is was a program available then, but don't remember
> the name.
> Doesn't help much other than to say someone might still have this software.
>
> Ron Bihler
> RiBBS

There actually is a program you can use called NoICE by John Hartman
which allows complete debug monitoring of a Coco.
http://www.noicedebugger.com/
Boisy has some OS-9 code which permits NoICE to work with OS-9. Check
the Sourceforge 3rdparty/p2mods/noice.

However, don't get your hopes up that this can be easily used to crack
copy protection schemes in games. NoICE is not intended to that purpose
and a good disassembler program is a better approach.