[Coco] FPGA

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Feb 18 16:07:13 EST 2009

N8WQ wrote:
> Folks,
> Occasionally I hear the term FPGA used in various discussions here on
> the list. Can anyone recommend any books, tutorials, or url's that can
> help me learn about this subject?
>
> Alan Jones

Try the Wikipedia article out for a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array
As it pertains to the CoCo, FPGA chips are now capable of containing the
entire functionality of a simple computer to create a System On a Chip
(SOC).  Gary Becker's CoCo3FPGA project seems to be the farthest along
in development:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CoCo3FPGA/

Mark McDougall and James Daggett have mentioned on this list that they
are also working on CoCo-related FPGA projects.  I believe Mark has made
significant progress on implementing a CoCo I/II on FPGA, and James has
mentioned that he is working on GIME functionality.

Verilog and VHDL are two popular HDLs (Hardware Description Languages)
that are used to describe the logic functions that can be programmed
into an FPGA.

JCE