[Coco] FPGA

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Feb 18 16:01:07 EST 2009

On 18 Feb 2009 at 14:51, N8WQ wrote:

> Folks,
> Occasionally I hear the term FPGA used in various discussions here on
> the list. Can anyone recommend any books, tutorials, or url's that can
> help me learn about this subject?
>
> Alan Jones

FPGA stands for Field Programable Gate Array.  Xilinx, Altera, Lattice are
the major manufacturers of such devices.

Primarily they are comprised of LUTs( Look Up Tables), RAM, multiplexors
and filip flops. With a 4 input LUT you can synthesize just about any 4 input
logic imaginable. The LUT can also be a 16 bit ram, a shift register, a
decode or encode logic. With the basic building blocks of a FPGA you can
synthesize just about any digital logic thinkable.

FPGAs are programmed with a language that is known as HDL, Hardware
Description Language. There are two major flavors of HDL, VHDL and
Verilog. VHDL is a programming language that is based on ADA and has
some similar chracteristics to Pascal. Verilog kind of mimics C.

All the manufacturers of FPGAs have free development tools for their own
products. Also there are other vendors that make tools that are more
generic and can be used on different FPGA vendors. The advantage of the
tools is that one can use a programing language to describe the bahevior of
the digital circuit, compile the program and simulate the logic before
synthesizing it to actual part.

The best way to start learning is to determine which language you want to
learn first, VHDL or Verilog. Both have their maerits and drawbacks. Once
decided on either VHSL or Verilog, there are many tutorials on the web.
Search these and then download either Alterra's Quartus or Xilinx's
Webpack ISE and install that. Then it is just learning how to code and
synthesize and simulate the designs. You can do this all without ever
having to buy any FPGA development boards.

Eventually you will want to actully test your design in real product. That
there is another issue. Which vendor? That becomes a matter of choice.

hope this helps soem

james