[Coco] [Color Computer] Rainbow articles: EPROM emulator

Mark Marlette mark at cloud9tech.com
Sun Feb 15 18:59:49 EST 2009

David,

Way to formal, Mark M. or Cloud-9 will do. :)

I believe his EPROM Emulator was in his book, Turn of a Screw or something like that.

Today an EPROM emulator or the use of an EPROM is so outdated, IMHO.

FLASH is where it is at. Who wants a to unplug the device from the CoCo, open the device, remove the EPROM, wait 10 minutes while the device erases, reprogram on a special piece of hardware, that hardly anybody has, unless they live hardware  :), then reinstall EPROM and then reinstall the device in the CoCo?

Whew....not me..At Cloud-9 we put the power into the hands of the user. We are done programming the FLASH before you even have the case opened with an EPROM based device.

The SuperIDE already has four ROM areas in it's internal FLASH memory. The boot ROM can be set via switches or software selected after you boot and want to process another ROM bank. The Flash Bank Selection Register(FBSR) is either preserved or clear when the CoCo RESET button is pressed. This a configuration option is on the board as is a jumper to select a CoCo1-2 or CoCo3 mode as all CoCo's IO were not created equal.

As far as a stand alone product.....I can't say..... ;)

Regards,

Mark