[Coco] Sneak peek

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Feb 15 16:12:01 EST 2009

At 10:42 AM 2/15/2009, you wrote:
>On 2/15/09, Ryan Pritchard wrote:
> > For myself, I would need to use a Y-cable for a FDC (26-3029) with
> > your Bluetooth version of the pak to allow use of real floppy drive.
> > Since I don't have an MPI or equivalent.
> >
> > Hasn't the patent expired on the MPI design so someone can replicate
> > that thing and put it into production again?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ryan Pritchard
>
>---
>
>A Y-cable will likely work if you remove the ROM from the Disk
>Controller, due the CTS* signal being used by both devices for ROM
>selection.  Since the CoCoNet EPROM is a modified version of Disk
>Basic, you don't need the controller's ROM.
>
>One item of concern may be the amount of power needed by both the FDC
>and the bluetooth pak being drawn from the CoCo.
>
>Darren

I used to have some pretty heavy stuff running off of a Tri-cable
that I built myself.  By the way, that's what we used to call a "poor
man's Multi-Pak Interface".  With the Y cable I'd just try out a
Speech/Sound Pak or some other heavy large cartridge having a good
number of chips in it before assuming anything.

If he has a Tandy Deluxe RS-232 Pak with the ROM disabled, he should
try that as well.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com