[Coco] Update: os9gen on 128k coco3, rs323 pack

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Sun Feb 15 16:04:03 EST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> I think what Mikey may be seeing is an issue with the current sc6551
> driver related to the DCD signal.  If that signal is not asserted,
> then there is hanging when writing.  I am not an expert on the
> driver, but as I recall, if you tie the DCD signal to DTR (as DTR is
> sourced FROM the PC), then information will start flowing.
>

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> The startup file additions:
>> iniz /t2
>> shell i=/t2 &

Took me 30 minutes to find my RS-232 breakout box.  I've tied DTR(20)
on the PC end to DCD(8) on the CoCo end, crossed RXD and TXD and now /
t2 has come alive, I now have a shell accessible from Minicom running
on on my Mac. Thanks Boisy and Gene.

I think it's been at least 15 years since I have done any serious work
with RS-232...  I almost always had a terminal hooked to the bit-
banger port on my 64k Coco1 when I ran Os9L1 on it.  it's starting to
come back to me!

> That said, the sc6551 driver could really use an adoptive parent at
> this point; someone to take it under their wings and really work to
> understand it (and fix lingering issues).

Looks like the driver has a good amount of comments.  On first glance
it looks like the Write function is supposed to check DCD and report
an error if it's not active. I don't see where the DCD/DSR flags that
it checks get updated anywhere... I need to print this sucker out and
study it more closely.